[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu May 2 10:00:40 CEST 2013

Adrian May <adrian.alexander.may <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  this decision to change the default syntax in GHC7

what decision? what syntax? here's the release notes (7 vs. 6)
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.1/html/users_guide/release-7-0-1.html

I guess you are referring to hierarchical module names?
(import List => import Data.List)

Indeed, I cannot build
WASH http://hackage.haskell.org/package/WashNGo-2.12.0.1
on ghc-7.6.3, and I don't see how it could have worked on 7.0,
as hackage claims it did.

(building the executables:
when using base and haskell89, "import Prelude" is ambiguous;
when using haskell98 only, modules like System.Exit are not available.)

I think this could be fixed in a straightforward way,
but that "fixing it" is necessary at all, just proves your point.

- J.W.