[Haskell-cafe] PhD at age 45?

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 22:26:36 UTC 2013

Hi Andrey and list,

All replies have been helpful. I realize my question is vague, and that's
partly because I don't know what area within CS interests me. I may have to
do at least an MS to find out.

I've been struggling with health problems for many years, so my work in
programming has been part-time, minimal, and not very interesting to me.
I'm not in a good position right now to determine what I would really like
to do.

I can say that my favorite class in college was discrete mathematics. And I
can say that I enjoyed learning Haskell, which I am in the process of
teaching to myself for personal projects.

Oh yeah--I do have some personal projects. One of them is making animated
videos to teach algebra, which I am doing in Haskell.

And I can say that I enjoy teaching a lot. Maybe I should become a high
school teacher!

Right now I have a small gig teaching Python and numpy to a local
psychiatrist who wants to write software for voice analysis. He is a smart
guy, but of course we are starting at the beginning. It's quite pleasureful
to see things click in his brain. We are working on just basic ideas, like
organization of code into functions and modules. He previously dabbled on
his own, and ran into problems with disorganized code, so he really
appreciates the ideas I'm presenting.

Dennis