[Haskell-cafe] PhD at age 45?

Andrey Chudnov achudnov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 21:51:09 UTC 2013

Dennis,
I think it would make sense for you to try and flesh out the details of
the kind of "work that interests" you. I'm sorry, but what you have
right now seems to be quite vague. I remember you mentioning that you
wanted to teach in your previous post. So if that's really what you
want, you don't have to have a PhD (although, of course, it's better to
have one). I know several teaching professors (yeah, that's the term we
use for the professors that don't engage in research) that don't have a
PhD (only MSc) and are great at what they do. So, if I were you, I would
try and look for adjunct professor positions: if you are good at
teaching, the absence of a PhD probably wouldn't matter; if you are not,
it's not like you would have a lot of time in grad school to work on
that anyway.

Also, "good pay" is generally not an attribute of academic jobs.