[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Package Discoverability

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Oct 23 08:14:34 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Myles C. Maxfield <myles.maxfield at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I am the author/maintainer of the 'punycode' hackage package. After 4
> months, I just found that punycode conversion already exists in the
> Data.Encoding.BootString package inside the 'encoding' package. I'd like to
> deprecate my package in favor of the 'encoding' package.

Please don't plan to do that. The encoding package may have filled a gap at
some point, but now it looks old, unwieldy, inefficient (String), and weird
(implicit parameters?) to me, and it's mostly obsolete (the standard I/O
library has supported Unicode and encodings for a while now). I would not
use the encodings package myself, for instance.

Your punycode package, in contrast, has a simple API and looks easy to use.
I'd suggest that you supprt the Text type as well as String, but otherwise
please keep it around and maintain it.