[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Package Discoverability

Myles C. Maxfield myles.maxfield at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 07:53:34 CEST 2012

Hello,
I am the author/maintainer of the 'punycode' hackage package. After 4
months, I just found that punycode conversion already exists in the
Data.Encoding.BootString package inside the 'encoding' package. I'd like to
deprecate my package in favor of the 'encoding' package.

However, I would also like to solve the discoverability problem of people
not knowing to look in the 'encoding' package when they're looking for the
punycode algorithm. (I certainly didn't look there, and as a result, I
re-implemented the algorithm). My initial thought is to keep my package in
the hackage database, but put a big label on it saying "DEPRECATED: Use
Data.Encoding.BootString instead." Is there a better way to make this
algorithm discoverable?

Thanks,
Myles