[Haskell-cafe] Simple GUI Form

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Thu Nov 29 17:15:11 CET 2012

Rune Harder Bak <rune at bak.dk> wrote:

> I'm very interested in FRP, but all the examples I could see was forms
> with "live" feedback gui like a real-time calculator.
> This is a one-time form where the user fills everything in, clicks on
> a button, where after the computations might take a long time, perhaps
> display some console-info.
> But maybe this is a good use-case for reactive-banana as well?

Of course.  There is no reason to think that FRP is limited to real-time
applications with complicated interactions.

> Do you have any good examples in this regard?

Not myself, but there is a somewhat comprehensive tutorial [1] as well
as lots of examples [2] linked from the wiki.

I just want to stress the importance of the last tutorial section:  FRP
is not a concrete design pattern, but rather a family of them.  The
tutorial explains FRP as understood and implemented specifically by
reactive-banana.  There are a number of other practical libraries that
use different notions, in particular of events.

[1]: <http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/
      FRP_explanation_using_reactive-banana>
[2]: <http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Reactive-banana/Examples>

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Key-ID: E5DD8D11 "Ertugrul Soeylemez <es at ertes.de>"
FPrint: BD28 3E3F BE63 BADD 4157  9134 D56A 37FA E5DD 8D11