[Haskell-cafe] cabal install... Trying to recover

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 18:25:41 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Gregory Guthrie <guthrie at mum.edu> wrote:

> OK; I took HTTP out, but still get the same error;****
>
>     cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the
> reinstalls:****
>
>     QuickCheck-2.4.2****
>
>     haskell-platform-2012.4.0.0****
>
>     Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.

Right, that was not intended to be a complete fix or anything, just a note.

This is the important part, and what I noted immediately afterward --- did
you happen to notice there was anything in the message after that first
part?  (Although I'm not asking this first so it also may not actually
exist, I guess....)

> One thing I notice;****
>
> Ghc reports: G:\Cabal>ghc --version****
>
>      The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2****
>
> ** **
>
> But I did notice that I had an environment variable (from some previous
> install, I think openCV?) of:****
>
>    GHC_VERSION=7.4.1****
>
> So I updated that to 7.4.2****
>
> And retried, same results.

There is more going on than just that environment variable; this is what
the "base" stuff that you have been ignoring is trying to tell you.

You still have both compilers installed, and their packages are somehow
jumbled together.  This is breaking your installation.  Unfortunately, as I
am neither particularly familiar with Windows nor able to access your
system (which is probably for the best for both of us), I can't really help
you with figuring out why you have two GHC versions' packages mixed
together.  But as long as you do, cabal will be trying to upgrade the
"base" package, which is the actual source of the breakage.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net