[Haskell-cafe] cabal install... Trying to recover

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Wed Nov 21 18:40:35 CET 2012

Thanks.

I’ll try to do another cleanup, but not sure what more I can uninstall or clean out!
I did a system search for *ghc* and came up empty before reinstall; will try again.

I have now managed to get from some broken packages to a broken system!  ☺

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] cabal install... Trying to recover

This is the important part, and what I noted immediately afterward --- did you happen to notice there was anything in the message after that first part?  (Although I'm not asking this first so it also may not actually exist, I guess....)
  One thing I notice;
Ghc reports: G:\Cabal>ghc --version
     The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2
There is more going on than just that environment variable; this is what the "base" stuff that you have been ignoring is trying to tell you.

You still have both compilers installed, and their packages are somehow jumbled together.  This is breaking your installation.  Unfortunately, as I am neither particularly familiar with Windows nor able to access your system (which is probably for the best for both of us), I can't really help you with figuring out why you have two GHC versions' packages mixed together.  But as long as you do, cabal will be trying to upgrade the "base" package, which is the actual source of the breakage.