[Haskell-cafe] Hard drive thrashing with modern controllers

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 20:55:11 CET 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM, <timothyhobbs at seznam.cz> wrote:

> import Control.Monad
> foo = do
>  forever $ writeFile "filename.foo" "Hello world!"
>
> will that destroy those sectors of my SSD after the rated 3000 write
> cycles?

Check your OS; while the firmware of modern SSD devices does much of the
work of rotating blocks of Flash around to mitigate this, the OS can help
by using a TRIM operation.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

I personally would consider that rapidly changing files should be kept
somewhere else such as tmpfs with periodic snapshots to nonvolatile storage.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net