[Haskell-cafe] Hard drive thrashing with modern controllers

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Sat Nov 10 20:49:01 CET 2012

Hello,
I have a very general question that doesn't exactly relate to Haskell.  Do I
need to worry about hard drive thrashing with a modern controller?  I
understand, that such "thrashing" can significantly reduce the lifespan of
modern SSD drives.

For example, if I do:

import Control.Monad
foo = do
 forever $ writeFile "filename.foo" "Hello world!"

will that destroy those sectors of my SSD after the rated 3000 write cycles?

The reason I ask, is that I have a program here where I would like to save a
set of files after every change/operation and I'm wondering if I should
check if the files I'm saving have actually changed or if this will be
handled by the OS...

Thank you
Timothy