[Haskell-cafe] Haskell showcase in 5 minutes

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Mon Feb 27 17:34:53 CET 2012

Arnaud Bailly <arnaud.oqube at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will be (re)presenting Haskell in a "Batlle Language" event
> Wednesday evening: A fun and interactive contest where various
> programming language champions try to attract as much followers as
> possible in 5 minutes.
>
> Having successfully experimented the power of live coding in a recent
> Haskell introduction for the Paris Scala User Group, I would like to
> do the same but given the time frame I need a simpler example than the
> music synthesizer program.
>
> So I would like to tap in the collective wisdom looking for some
> concise, eye-opening, mind-shaking and if possible fun example of what
> one can achieve in Haskell. Things that sprung to my mind are rather
> dull: prime factors, fibonacci numbers.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is Yesod:  If you trained, you
can very well build a complete blog application with Markdown syntax
support and comment functionality within that time frame.  Of course it
won't be enough to explain every detail, but you can list the key
features:

  * (static!) safety of, well, everything,
  * insanely easy database handling,
  * performance,
  * rapid development,
  * Lucius (a cascading language for cascading stylesheets =)),
  * composability (i.e. widgets),
  * a comprehensive prefab toolbox (login, sitemaps, etc.).

However, five minutes is a very narrow time frame, so better have some
editor macros ready.  Also practice, practice, practice.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/