[Haskell-cafe] Haskell showcase in 5 minutes

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:39:47 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Arnaud Bailly <arnaud.oqube at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Cafe,
>
> I will be (re)presenting Haskell in a "Batlle Language" event Wednesday
> evening: A fun and interactive contest where various programming language
> champions try to attract as much followers as possible in 5 minutes.
>
> Having successfully experimented the power of live coding in a recent
> Haskell introduction for the Paris Scala User Group, I would like to do the
> same but given the time frame I need a simpler example than the music
> synthesizer program.
>
> So I would like to tap in the collective wisdom looking for some concise,
> eye-opening, mind-shaking and if possible fun example of what one can
> achieve in Haskell. Things that sprung to my mind are rather dull: prime
> factors, fibonacci numbers.

Poke around Oleg's website.  If you think people would be wowed by
type hacks then you can find examples where:
  * he encodes the law of excluded middle using Haskell types (plus
type classes) (http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/lem.html)
  * he shows a way to encode arbitrary values in types and then
recover them again
(http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~ccshan/prepose/prepose.pdf)

He has more than just type hacks, check out his Haskell section:
http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/

I hope that helps,
Jason