[Haskell-cafe] Streaming to JuicyPixels

Vincent Berthoux vincent.berthoux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:01:39 CET 2012

Hi,

 I can expose the low level parsing, but you would only get the
chunks/frames/sections of the image, Cereal is mainly used to parse the
structure of the image, not to do the raw processing. For the raw
processing, I rely on `remaining >> getBytes` to be able to manipulate data
at bit level or to feed it to zlib, and the documentation clearly state
that remaining doesn't work well with runGetPartial, so no read ahead, but
even worse for streaming :).

To be fair, I never thought of this use case, and exposing a partially
decoded image would impose the use of the ST Monad somehow, and Serialize
is not a monad transformer, making it a bit hard to implement.

By curiosity what kind of API would you hope for this kind of functionality?

Regards

Vincent Berthoux