[Haskell-cafe] Haskell development in Mac OS X after Gatekeeper

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 03:39:22 CET 2012

> *Short* term, the most that will happen is that people will have to
> say "yeah yeah I know just let me have it OK?".
>
> Already in 10.6 there was this nagging feature where you click on a
> downloaded document and it says "this was downloaded, do you really
> want to open it" and it takes a painfully long time bouncing in the
> dock before that dialogue box comes up.

     I disagree. I don't think the control-click bypass is realistic
for real world applications. (Meaning software written for "the
average user").

     With the 10.6 dialogue box, it's clear that there's no negative
inference about the particular software downloaded. On the other hand,
it's impossible for a software company to maintain a sense of
professionalism, when a user has to know a weird "secret handshake" to
disable what they may perceive as equivalent to antivirus software.

> *Short* term, it's just more continuing low-level harassment by
> Apple (even if perhaps with good intentions).  Long term, well,
> there's a reason why I keep Solaris, Linux, and OpenBSD around...

     I disagree that this is a small move. $100 per year from every
Mac OS X developer in the world, plus 30% of the take from the App
Store is big money.

- amindfv / Tom