[Haskell-cafe] ByteString install issues with GHC 7.0.3 on Windows 7

Ralph Hodgson rhodgson at topquadrant.com
Sun Oct 2 05:53:34 CEST 2011

Resolved my problems by going after later versions of ByteString:

>cabal install bytestring-0.9.2.0

Resolving dependencies...

cabal: bytestring.cabal:70: The 'type' field is required for test suites.
The

available test types are: exitcode-stdio-1.0

bytestring-0.9.2.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

That did not work, but the following:

>cabal install bytestring-0.9.1.10

Resolving dependencies...

No packages to be installed. All the requested packages are already
installed.

If you want to reinstall anyway then use the --reinstall flag.

tells me that I already had a working version. I was chasing the wrong
problem.

Looking at my BlazeHtml code again, there were imports declared as follows:

> import Prelude hiding (head, id, div)

> import Text.Blaze.Html4.Strict as H hiding (map)

> import Text.Blaze.Html4.Strict.Attributes as A

> import Control.Monad

> import Data.Monoid (Monoid, mappend, mempty, mconcat)

> import Text.Blaze.Renderer.Utf8 (renderHtml)

>  import Data.ByteString.UTF8 as B

The last import was the problem. Something changed in the libraries to make
this 'UTF8' line break. I worked around this for now.

Need to research some more, quick glance at the bytestring library versions
suggest 'Char8' not 'UTF8' .  However Data.ByteString.UTF8 is in the
utf8-string-0.3 library
(http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/utf8-string/0.3/doc/html/Data-B
yteString-UTF8.html).

So my question becomes "Can someone tell me if there are notes somewhere on
the state of play of the UTF8 ByteString Libraries"

Ralph Hodgson,  <http://twitter.com/ralphtq> @ralphtq