[Haskell-cafe] ByteString install issues with GHC 7.0.3 on Windows 7

Ralph Hodgson rhodgson at topquadrant.com
Sun Oct 2 05:31:27 CEST 2011

This morning I was successfully running BlazeHtml on Windows 7. Then I
installed some libraries from other packages and BlazeHtml broke.

I then decided to go from ghc 6.12.1 to ghc 7.0.3 and reinstall everything.

BlazeHtml installed OK. But my program also needed ByteString. So I did the
following:

First I tried the stable version:

>cabal install bytestring-0.9.1.4

Resolving dependencies...

Configuring bytestring-0.9.1.4...

Preprocessing library bytestring-0.9.1.4...

Building bytestring-0.9.1.4...

Data\ByteString.hs:3:24:

    Cannot parse LANGUAGE pragma

    Expecting comma-separated list of language options,

    each starting with a capital letter

      E.g. {-# LANGUAGE RecordPuns, Generics #-}

bytestring-0.9.1.4 failed during the building phase. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

I am not experienced enough to fix this, so I tried a previous ByteString
version:

>cabal install bytestring-0.9.1.3

Resolving dependencies...

Configuring bytestring-0.9.1.3...

Preprocessing library bytestring-0.9.1.3...

Building bytestring-0.9.1.3...

[1 of 8] Compiling Data.ByteString.Fusion ( Data\ByteString\Fusion.hs,
dist\buil

d\Data\ByteString\Fusion.o )

[2 of 8] Compiling Data.ByteString.Internal ( Data\ByteString\Internal.hs,
dist\

build\Data\ByteString\Internal.o )

Data\ByteString\Internal.hs:79:42:

    Module `GHC.IOBase' does not export `RawBuffer'

bytestring-0.9.1.3 failed during the building phase. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

No joy.

Help appreciated.

May try all this on my MAC tomorrow.