[Haskell-cafe] ByteString install issues with GHC 7.0.3 on Windows 7

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 06:09:11 CEST 2011

On 2 October 2011 14:31, Ralph Hodgson <rhodgson at topquadrant.com> wrote:
> This morning I was successfully running BlazeHtml on Windows 7. Then I
> installed some libraries from other packages and BlazeHtml broke.
>

> I then decided to go from ghc 6.12.1 to ghc 7.0.3 and reinstall everything.
>

> BlazeHtml installed OK. But my program also needed ByteString. So I did the
> following:

Don't install bytestring yourself.

GHC comes with a number of libraries (referred to as the "boot
libraries") which it needs to operate (i.e. the GHC libraries depend
upon them).  These include base, containers, array and bytestring.  As
such, you upgrade one of these you will almost definitely get some
form of breakage down the track due to version mis-match of these
libraries.

The only library that comes with GHC and is safe to install a newer
version of (but not to remove the older version) is Cabal: GHC doesn't
depend upon it, it just ships with it to help boostrap itself.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com