[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Thu May 19 10:15:16 CEST 2011

> My conclusion was that GLFW-b (on hackage) is the best we have right
> now.  I think we could do even better than the C libraries out there
> by writing the GLUT/GLFW/etc implementation purely in Haskell.  We
> already have x11 and gtk bindings for the linux support.  We have
> win32 api bindings for windows support.  What we are lacking is good
> low level support for OSX GUI programming.  Once we have that it's not
> too much of a stretch to use cabal to glue it together into a cross
> platform library.  I believe that's the right way to go for the long
> term.  Improving GLFW-b is a good short-term route.

I agree with your approach. Although getting a window on screen really isn't much code, so I'd vote for going straight to a Haskell replacement for GLUT et al.

> And just to say it one more time, I can use all the help I can get.

I don't have much time, but if someone started a github project for a Haskell GLUT replacement I could probably chip in here and there.

Ta,
Sam