[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu May 19 15:00:03 CEST 2011

Jason Dagit wrote:

> As you point out we also need better libraries for creating the OpenGL
> context.  I wrote up my searches on that front here:
> http://blog.codersbase.com/2011/03/picking-gui-library-to-use-with-opengl.html
>
> My conclusion was that GLFW-b (on hackage) is the best we have right
> now.  I think we could do even better than the C libraries out there
> by writing the GLUT/GLFW/etc implementation purely in Haskell.

Not sure about that. I have looked at the GLFW source code, it's the
cleanest C code I have ever seen and definitely worth contributing to.
The thing with established cross-platform GUI toolkits is that they
embed a lot of wisdom about platform quirks (Cocoa is particularly
annoying) that you would have to solve again.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com