[Haskell-cafe] Iteratee IO examples

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Jun 25 23:18:08 CEST 2011

On 6/25/11 6:51 AM, John Lato wrote:
> Honestly I'm quite dis-satisfied with the current state of code which
> depends on iteratee/enumerator.  It's nearly all written in a very
low-level
> style, i.e. directly writing 'liftI step', or 'case x of Yield ->  ...'.
> This is exactly what I would hope users could avoid, by using the functions
> in e.g. Data.Iteratee.ListLike.
>
> I've recently added more functions to iteratee which greatly reduce the
need
> for this type of code.  I don't know about enumerator, but I expect it
isn't
> rich enough since most user code I've seen is pretty low-level.

I have a rather large suite of list-like functions for the old version of
iteratee (used by a project I've been working on for a while). Once I get
the time to convert the project to the newer iteratee, I'll send a patch
with any you're still missing.

(Though, admittedly, I'm not terribly keen on ListLike. The classes still
seem too monolithic and ad-hoc. Though I'm not sure there's a way around
that without something closer to ML's functor modules.)

--
Live well,
~wren