[Haskell-cafe] Iteratee IO examples

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:35:39 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>wrote:

> On 6/25/11 6:51 AM, John Lato wrote:
> > Honestly I'm quite dis-satisfied with the current state of code which
> > depends on iteratee/enumerator.  It's nearly all written in a very
> low-level
> > style, i.e. directly writing 'liftI step', or 'case x of Yield ->  ...'.
> > This is exactly what I would hope users could avoid, by using the
> functions
> > in e.g. Data.Iteratee.ListLike.
> >
> > I've recently added more functions to iteratee which greatly reduce the
> need
> > for this type of code.  I don't know about enumerator, but I expect it
> isn't
> > rich enough since most user code I've seen is pretty low-level.
>
> I have a rather large suite of list-like functions for the old version of
> iteratee (used by a project I've been working on for a while). Once I get
> the time to convert the project to the newer iteratee, I'll send a patch
> with any you're still missing.

I'd greatly appreciate it.  Even if they're for the old version; doing the
conversion is fairly mechanical.

> (Though, admittedly, I'm not terribly keen on ListLike. The classes still
> seem too monolithic and ad-hoc. Though I'm not sure there's a way around
> that without something closer to ML's functor modules.)

Refactoring ListLike has been a long-standing objective of mine, but I
haven't put much time into it because it would cause breaking changes which
I didn't think anyone else would appreciate.  No way to tell except to just
release it I guess.

John