[Haskell-cafe] Category theory as a design tool

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Wed Jun 22 21:06:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Arnaud Bailly <arnaud.oqube at gmail.com>
wrote:
> (2nd try, took my gloves off...)
> Hello Café,
> I have been fascinated by Cat. theory for quite a few years now, as
> most people who get close to it I think.
>
> I am a developer, working mostly in Java for my living and dabbling
> with haskell and scala in my spare time and assuming the frustration
> of having to live in an imperative word. More often than not, I find
> myself trying to use constructs from FP in my code, mostly simple
> closures and typical data types (eg. Maybe, Either...). I have read
> with a lot of interest FPS (http://homepages.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~tk/fps/)
> which exposes  a number of OO patterns inspired by FP.
>
> Are there works/thesis/books/articles/blogs that try to use Cat.
> theory explicitly as a tool/language for designing software (not as an
> underlying formalisation or semantics)? Is the question even
> meaningful?

You might try: Category Theory for Computing
Science<http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/pub/ctcs.html> (Barr
and Wells)

and Conceptual Mathematics: a first introduction to
categories<http://books.google.com/books/about/Conceptual_mathematics.html?id=o1tHw4W5MZQC>
 (Lawvere)

"Kinship and Mathematical Categories" (by Lawvere) is also interesting.

-Gregg