[Haskell-cafe] hoogle command line program on Linux

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:38:12 CET 2011

>> Thanks to Erik's help testing preview versions I've now released
>> Hoogle 4.1.4 that sets the file creation mask appropriately.
>
> Shouldn't data like this really go in /var rather than /usr ?  To
> quote Wikipedia [1]: "/var/: Variable files—files whose content is
> expected to continually change during normal operation of the
> system—such as logs, spool files, and temporary e-mail files."

The Hoogle databases are expected to change very rarely - most users
will install them when they install Hoogle. A small number will update
them occasionally as the packages update. I'm using the Cabal datadir
to store the databases, but does Cabal provide a more sensible place
to put them? As a Windows user, I'm happy to defer to what Posix
system users want.

Thanks, Neil