[Haskell-cafe] Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 17:00:43 CET 2011

On 7 January 2011 06:20, Joe Bruce <bruce.joe.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Max.  That makes a lot of sense.  That change got me to the point of
> linking lambdabot.

Well, I tried to see if I could reproduce your problem but didn't get
to this stage. It looks like v4.2.2.1 from Hackage hasn't been updated
for donkeys years and breaks massively because of at least the new
exceptions library, mtl 2.0 and the syb package being split off from
base.

I started to fix these issues but lost the will to live at step "[39
of 81] Compiling Plugin.Eval". Do you have access to some fixed source
code that I might be able to build on GHC 7?

> readline is compiled with iconv from
> MacPorts,

I don't think readline links against iconv. What that error says to me
is that GHC is failing to link against *any* iconv. I bet that it's
because you have iconv installed via Macports without +universal. Try:

$ file /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a

It should say:

/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture i386):	current ar archive
random library
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture x86_64):	current ar
archive random library

If it doesn't, do:

$ sudo port install libiconv +universal

And then link Lambdabot again.