[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Fri Apr 22 01:02:05 CEST 2011

John Millikin wrote:

> My chief complaint is that it's built on "patch theory", which is
> ill-defined and doesn't seem particularly useful. The Bazaar/Git/Mercurial
> DAG model is much easier to understand and work with.
>
> Possibly as a consequence of its shaky foundation, Darcs is much slower than
> the competition -- this becomes noticeable for even very small repositories,
> when doing a lot of branching and merging.

I have two projects, one has about 50k lines of C code thats kept in
Bzr and the other has 50k lines of Haskell code thats kept in Darcs.
They both have similar sized commit and branch histories.

I find the speed on Bzr and Darcs on those two projects to be pretty
much the same. Most operations on a local repo take well less than 5
seconds. Git may be faster but if its under 5 seconds who cares.

Erik