[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Apr 22 01:16:07 CEST 2011

Um, the patch theory is what makes darcs "just work". There is no need
to understand it any more than you have to know VLSI design to
understand how your computer works. The end result is that darcs
repositories don't get corrupted and the order you integrate patches
doesn't affect things meaning cherrypicking is painless.

I think the main problem with patch theory is with its PR. It is a
super cool algorithm and rightly droundy should be proud of it so he
highlighted it. I think this caused people to think they had to
understand the patch theory rather than just sit back and enjoy it.

Incidentally, I wrote a github like site based around darcs a few
years ago at codehole.org. It is just used internally by me for
certain projects. but if people were interested, I could resume work
on it and make it public.

    John