[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com skills list moderation?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 07:30:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 October 2010 21:38, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Cabal, packaging, build and distribution tools
> >
> > This should be two categories: "Cabal internals" and "Software
> > packaging/distribution tools".  Keep Cabal internals, possibly keep the
> > other
>
> What does "Cabal internals" refer to?  Actually using Cabal as a
> library?  Developing Cabal itself?

Developing Cabal itself.

> >> Fault Tolerant Server Software
> >>
> >> Mathematics
> >
> > drop (possibly keep FTSS, maybe change the name)
>
> Why drop mathematics?  (I'd prefer it to be split up, but
> mathematically-oriented programming is a large/important subset of
> Haskell "skills" IMHO, though I admit I'm biased).

Mathematics is far too broad to be useful.  I agree that subsets of math
would be informative (e.g. statistical modelling, linear algebra, graph
theory, dif. eq., etc.), but how do you break up Mathematics and assign
users who listed it as a skill to its constituent parts?

> >> UNIX Scripting and Tool Authoring
> >
> > keep as "UNIX Scripting"
>
> What's wrong with "Tool Authoring"?  To some, scripting implies
> quick+dirty temporary applications/scripts as opposed to a
> well-engineered tool.

Again, "Tool Authoring" is too broad to be useful.  What else do software
developers do but author tools?  Contrast to "UNIX Scripting", which means
familiarity with at least a shell and likely one or more of awk, perl,
python, regexes, ...  I don't make quality judgements just from the term
"scripting", and I'd certainly rather use a well-engineered script over a
quick+dirty tool.

John