[Haskell-cafe] GSoC and Machine learning

Alp Mestanogullari alp at mestan.fr
Wed Mar 31 06:19:50 EDT 2010

Note that, if any student is interested, the Haskell Neural Network library
[1] is being rewritten from scratch. We (Thomas Bereknyi and I) are
discussing many core data structure alternatives, with some suggestions from
Edward Kmett. There may even be some room for a rewrite or update of fgl,
possibly with an alternative conception, to fit well HNN. I am definitely
not sure if this is worth a GSoC and if the community would benefit that
much from such a work, but it's there.

[1] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HNN

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Grzegorz C <pitekus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Ketil Malde-5 wrote:
> >
> > Once upon a time, I proposed a GSoC project for a machine learning
> > library.
> >
> > I still get some email from prospective students about this, whom I
> > discourage as best I can by saying I don't have the time or interest to
> > pursue it, and that chances aren't so great since you guys tend to
> > prefer language-related stuff instead of application-related stuff.
> >
> > But if anybody disagrees with my sentiments and is willing to mentor
> > this, there are some smart students looking for an opportunity.  I'd be
> > happy to forward any requests.
> >

> I don't know whether this is a good idea for a GSoC project, but I would
> certainly welcome such a library. I am using Haskell a bit for statistical
> NLP: in my experience currently Haskell is excellent for the components
> which deal with data preprocessing and feature extraction, but when it
> comes
> to implementing the core training algorithms and running them on large data
> sets, it's easy to get very poor performance and/or unexpected stack
> overflows. So if a library could provide some well-tuned and tested
> building
> blocks for implementing the performance critical parts of machine learning
> algorithms, it would improve the coding experience in a major way.
>
> Best,
> --
> Grzegorz
>
> --