[Haskell-cafe] GSoC and Machine learning

Grzegorz C pitekus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 07:55:28 EDT 2010

Hi,

Ketil Malde-5 wrote:

> Once upon a time, I proposed a GSoC project for a machine learning
> library.
>
> I still get some email from prospective students about this, whom I
> discourage as best I can by saying I don't have the time or interest to
> pursue it, and that chances aren't so great since you guys tend to
> prefer language-related stuff instead of application-related stuff.
>
> But if anybody disagrees with my sentiments and is willing to mentor
> this, there are some smart students looking for an opportunity.  I'd be
> happy to forward any requests.

I don't know whether this is a good idea for a GSoC project, but I would
certainly welcome such a library. I am using Haskell a bit for statistical
NLP: in my experience currently Haskell is excellent for the components
which deal with data preprocessing and feature extraction, but when it comes
to implementing the core training algorithms and running them on large data
sets, it's easy to get very poor performance and/or unexpected stack
overflows. So if a library could provide some well-tuned and tested building
blocks for implementing the performance critical parts of machine learning
algorithms, it would improve the coding experience in a major way.

Best,
--
Grzegorz