[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 03:16:13 EDT 2010

On 29 March 2010 02:37, Jeff Wheeler <jeff at nokrev.com> wrote:
> - The "Register | Login" button is awkward; it looks like it's
> centered with the descenders included, so it's a bit too high. Also, a
> pipe as a separator is strange. (This same style is used a few other
> places, too.)

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with that. Maybe it could go just above
the search?

> - "The Haskell Programming Language" is a bit long. Perhaps make
> "The"/"Programming Language" be a lot lighter, so that Haskell really
> stands out.

Maybe it could be Haskell: /The Programming Language/ where /foo/ is in grey.

> - I doubt we'll end up using that font for the headers (unless
> somebody is ponying up for a license and wants to use Typekit or so),
> but the 't' as in "Welcome _t_o" is very strange.

This font is licensed for use as a @font-face font:
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Colaborate but we could use Georgia
or something normal.

> - Under "Events," I'd move "More" to be in line with the prev/next buttons.

True, that makes it consistent.

> - Under "Latest Packages," I think different formatting could make
> this read more easily. At the very least, the package name and
> description should be a different color or weight. I'd move the
> description onto the same line (wrapping if necessary), but a lighter
> weight and a lighter gray (same color as the "Latest Event"?).

Yeah, I didn't want to go through every other package and colourize
them in Inkscape. The package names should really be links so should
be blue or something anyway, I think.

> Just some ideas to think about.

I've attached the original Inkscape SVG, if you want to make some
tweaks and send it back to me. I'm all setup to do the Wikimedia theme
on my local machine, but fixing any warts before I do would be good.

Cheers!