[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Jeff Wheeler jeff at nokrev.com
Sun Mar 28 21:37:44 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:

> No, you're right, they're ugly colours IMO.

I originally mocked up the logo that we chose, so I'm partial to the
grayish-blue that I used. Others probably work, but I think the
combination of blues in the one that's used a lot now is awkward.

I do like the new design idea, but there are a few places I'd like to
nitpick, if nobody minds.

- The "Register | Login" button is awkward; it looks like it's
centered with the descenders included, so it's a bit too high. Also, a
pipe as a separator is strange. (This same style is used a few other
places, too.)
- "The Haskell Programming Language" is a bit long. Perhaps make
"The"/"Programming Language" be a lot lighter, so that Haskell really
stands out.
- I doubt we'll end up using that font for the headers (unless
somebody is ponying up for a license and wants to use Typekit or so),
but the 't' as in "Welcome _t_o" is very strange.
- Under "Events," I'd move "More" to be in line with the prev/next buttons.
- Under "Latest Packages," I think different formatting could make
this read more easily. At the very least, the package name and
description should be a different color or weight. I'd move the
description onto the same line (wrapping if necessary), but a lighter
weight and a lighter gray (same color as the "Latest Event"?).

Just some ideas to think about.

--
Jeff Wheeler

Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering