[Haskell-cafe] PNG sample on haskellwiki

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:35:11 EDT 2010

Thanks Thomas for the resources ... particularly [3] ... it seems to have a
link to a standalone 'C' code that does jpeg and png decoding!

I'd actually like to see the example on Haskell wiki work - my agenda is two
fold, familiarity with dealing with binary data in Haskell and also
understanding PNG ... I think I'll have to do it the hard way now - look at
the PNG spec and see what's wrong in the file.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Thomas DuBuisson <
thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about that code, but have had good experiences on two
> projects using the DevIL binding library found on hackage [1].  I
> tried pngload [2] originally, but that isn't full featured enough for
> real use.  iirc, stb-image [3] had a similar issue of being too
> bare-bones; the haddock comments agree ("PNG 8-bit only").
>
> In summary, thank you Luke for a good package.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Codec-Image-DevIL
> [2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pngload
> [3]
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/stb-image/0.2/doc/html/Codec-Image-STB.html
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM, C K Kashyap <ckkashyap at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried out the code on this page
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/PNG
> > but the png file that'e emitted does not seem to open properly with image
> > viewing tools. Has anyone tried it out?
> >
> > I added this bit for supplying the data for image creation -
> >
> > count=100
> > row = take count (cycle [True,False])
> > rows = take 100 (repeat row)
> > image = png rows