[Haskell-cafe] OpenSUSE 11.2

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 28 11:52:19 EST 2010

Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 13:23:11 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
>
>> Amusingly, I installed the GHC package, and then discovered that while
>> GHC runs, it won't compile anything. But if you (manually) install GCC
>> as well, *then* it works. (Isn't that the package manager's job? WTF?)
>>

> Wait, what?
> That must be the first Linux in history which didn't have gcc installed
> from the beginning. How on earth did you manage to do that?

It's the default install of OpenSUSE 11.2. Nothing special there.

What *does* surprise me is that GCC isn't a dependency of the GHC
package, given that GHC doesn't appear to work properly without it.

>> Anyway, I'm currently attempting to get cabal-install to work...
>>
> What's the problem?
> Downloading the .tar.gz from hackage, unpacking it and running bootstrap.sh
> *should* get you a working cabal-install with minimum fuss.

No "problem", I just haven't finished it yet. Or at least, I hadn't when
I posted that message; I've got it going now. Once GHC was actually
working, the only additional thing I had to do was install zlib-devel.

It also puts the binary in a strange place, but I guess I can live with
that...

Now, hypothetically, I should have a Linux Haskell system, so I can
actually compile *anything* that's on Hackage.