[Haskell-cafe] OpenSUSE 11.2

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sun Feb 28 08:16:55 EST 2010

Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 13:23:11 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
> Daniel Fischer wrote:
> > Or, go to http://software.opensuse.org/search/ , type ghc [alex,
> > happy, ...] in the search box, click the search button and
> > 1-click-install.
>
> This works - and adds all the Haskell stuff to the respositories list,
> apparently.
>
> Amusingly, I installed the GHC package, and then discovered that while
> GHC runs, it won't compile anything. But if you (manually) install GCC
> as well, *then* it works. (Isn't that the package manager's job? WTF?)

Wait, what?
That must be the first Linux in history which didn't have gcc installed
from the beginning. How on earth did you manage to do that?

Another thing, you will want the devel versions of many packages for the
header files, so start YaST, search for devel in name, install all you are
not almost sure that you don't want.

> Anyway, I'm currently attempting to get cabal-install to work...

What's the problem?
Downloading the .tar.gz from hackage, unpacking it and running bootstrap.sh
*should* get you a working cabal-install with minimum fuss.