[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage accounts and real names

Jake McArthur jake.mcarthur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:15:39 EDT 2010

On 04/05/2010 11:32 PM, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:
> 4) The people who support the policy don't see why anyone has a problem with it.

I have seen no logical explanation of *why* anybody supports this
policy. I've only seen vague hand-wavy statements like "people who use
real names are more reliable." Really? Where's the proof? I bet there's
a fairly large number of badly maintained projects on Hackage, and I bet
it has little or no correlation with the accuracy of the maintainers'
listed names.

Even if it's true, what harm is there in allowing less reliable
maintainers to upload packages? So we end up with a few extra packages
that nobody uses. So what?

- Jake