[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage accounts and real names

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Tue Apr 6 01:32:48 EDT 2010

Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 April 2010 14:28, Ertugrul Soeylemez <es at ertes.de> wrote:
> > Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> When you say convincing, you are talking about yourself being
> >> convinced, right?  So this paragraph means "The arguments against my
> >> position haven't convinced me, but the arguments for my position
> >> have."
> >
> > Yes, of course, although I think that I can speak for some others as
> > well.
>
> So, let me summarise:
>
> 1) Hackage currently has a policy (not really a restriction if no Real
> World checks are done) that real names should be used.
>
> 2) Some people don't like this policy.
>
> 3) The people that don't like this policy have reasons why, which
> fails to convince people who have no problems with the policy.
>
> 4) The people who support the policy don't see why anyone has a
> problem with it.
>
> 5) No-one is convincing anyone else to their point of view, so we have
> a stale mate.

Well, there is probably a somewhat large portion of people, who simply
don't care.  And most people, who do care, wouldn't be hurt by changing
the policy (other than their feelings, because they couldn't enforce
their ideals).  However, people are actually hurt by not changing it, as
others and I pointed out.

The policies of a worldwide community platform can be based on certain
ideals, but they shouldn't enforce them, because those don't work
everywhere.  They should be as friendly as possible to every potential
member.

In my opinion the policy should be changed to:  "We encourage using real
names as user names, but if you have specific reasons not to do so, you
can use a pseudonym."

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://blog.ertes.de/