[Haskell-cafe] Re: virus/trojan in bamse package?

Jannis (jix) Harder jannis at harderweb.de
Sat Nov 7 12:06:54 EST 2009

Am 07.11.2009, 16:28 Uhr, schrieb Daniel van den Eijkel <dvde at gmx.net>:

> hi,
>
> my Avira antivirus program says that there is a trojan in the
> bamse-0.9.5 package. I downloaded the hackage-torrent a week ago, and
> Avira says "TR/Crypt.CFI.Gen" is in bamse. To be sure, I downloaded
> bamse-0.9.5 from hackage today, and now avira says less specificly that
> there are "some viruses and/or unwanted programs" inside.

.Gen usually means that the file isn't a known virus but some heuristics
triggered. This can also happen if a file is compressed with an executable
packer that the virus scanner can't decompress, which wouldn't be strange
for an installer tool. I don't know if that's the problem in this case
but I had a lot of trouble with virus scanners in combination with
executable packers so it might be.

--
Jannis