[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Mar 24 19:07:15 EDT 2009

Conal Elliott ha scritto:
> Manlio,
>
> We live in the age of participation -- of co-education.  Don't worry
> about text-books.  Contribute to some wiki pages & blogs today that
> share these smart techniques with others.

When I started learning Haskell (by my initiative), what I did was:

1) Quick reading of the first tutorial I found on the wiki.
    http://darcs.haskell.org/yaht/yaht.pdf, if i remember correctly

2) Quick reading the Haskell Report

3) Reading another tutorial:
    http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/

4) Reading again the Haskell Report

5) A lot of time spent finding good tutorials.
    Yet, I did not knew what monads were, I just
    felt that monads were some strange and advanced feature

... A period where I stop looking for Haskell

6) Found some good tutorial about what monads are, but yet I did not
    knew anything about state monads, monad transformers, and so.

... Another period were I stop looking for Haskell

7) The Real Word Haskell book.
    Finally in one book all "advanced" concepts.

    I read the book online.
    I found the book good, but i think it is too dispersive in some
    chapters.
    I already forgot some of the concepts I read, mostly because in some
    chapter I get annoyed, and started skipping things, or reading it
    quickly.

    I will buying a copy in May, at Pycon Italy
    (were there will be a stand by O'Really), so that I can read it
    again.

8) New impetus at learning Haskell.
    I read again the Haskell Report, and the
    "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell".

    I finally started to understand how things works

7) Start to write some "real" code.

    I now I'm able to understand much of the code I read.
    But for some kind of code I still have problems.

Manlio