[Haskell-cafe] I can't install hs-plugins beceause of Linker.h

Yuri Kashnikoff yuri.kashnikoff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 02:20:58 EDT 2009

Originally I was trying to install turbinado which depends on
plugins>=1.4. Actually I don't know how turbinado uses plugins. But
still I can't build it because of plugins. I wonder how "turbinado
guys" builds hs-plugins with ghc-6.10.1.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> It depends on if you need 'eval' or object loading capability.
>
> For true plugins, hs-plugins is still the only binding to the GHC rts
> object loader, for eval-like mechanisms, we've a number of bindings to
> the ghc-api bytecode interpreter, such as hint.
>
> That said, hs-plugins is kinda sorta patches-applied maintained.
>
> jfredett:
>> I believe that hs-plugins has fallen out of use, on #haskell, I was
>> directed to hint[1]. IIRC, I had to disable some packages because of
>> cross installation.
>>

>> /Joe
>>

>> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hint
>>
>> Yuri Kashnikoff wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I was trying to install hs-plugins both from sources "$./Setup.lhs
>>> ..." and with "$cabal fetch&&cabal install" and both failed.
>>> It always reports that Linker.h is missing. I have tried to use
>>> --extra-include-dirs with path to ghc-6.10.1 dir and
>>> ghc-6.10.1/include dir. Nothing changed.
>>>
>>> Here is a report from Setup.lhs:
>>>
>>> Setup.lhs:2:2:
>>>     Warning: In the use of `defaultUserHooks'
>>>              (imported from Distribution.Simple):
>>>              Deprecated: "Use simpleUserHooks or autoconfUserHooks,
>>> unless you need Cabal-1.2
>>>              compatibility in which case you must stick with defaultUserHooks"
>>> Warning: defaultUserHooks in Setup script is deprecated.
>>> Configuring plugins-1.4.0...
>>> Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
>>> package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
>>> package ghc-6.10.1 requires Cabal-1.6.0.1
>>> package plugins-1.4.0 requires Cabal-1.6.0.2
>>> checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin9.6.0
>>> checking for ghc... ghc
>>> checking for value of __GLASGOW_HASKELL__... 610
>>> checking for ghc library directory... /opt/local/lib/ghc-6.10.1/.
>>> checking for gcc... gcc
>>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>>> checking whether the C compiler works... yes
>>> checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>>> checking for suffix of executables...
>>> checking for suffix of object files... o
>>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>>> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
>>> checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
>>> checking for arc4random... yes
>>> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> config.status: creating config.mk
>>> config.status: creating testsuite/makewith/io/TestIO.conf
>>> config.status: creating testsuite/makewith/unsafeio/Unsafe.conf
>>> config.status: creating config.h
>>> config.status: config.h is unchanged