[Haskell-cafe] I can't install hs-plugins beceause of Linker.h

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 15 09:20:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 11:38 +0600, Yuri Kashnikoff wrote:
> Hi!
> I was trying to install hs-plugins both from sources "$./Setup.lhs
> ..." and with "$cabal fetch&&cabal install" and both failed.
> It always reports that Linker.h is missing.

> Setup.lhs: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
> * Missing header file: Linker.h
> This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
> provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
> already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
> --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.

It's a bug in the package that was exposed when Cabal- started
checking for header files and C libs. I reported the bug to the package
maintainer at the time of the release of Cabal-

Until the maintainer updates it, the fix is to edit the .cabal file and
simply remove the mention of Linker.h. You can use the new cabal unpack

  cabal unpack plugins
  cd plugins-1.4.0
  vi plugins.cabal
  cabal install