[Haskell-cafe] I can't install hs-plugins beceause of Linker.h

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 15 09:20:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 11:38 +0600, Yuri Kashnikoff wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was trying to install hs-plugins both from sources "$./Setup.lhs
> ..." and with "$cabal fetch&&cabal install" and both failed.
> It always reports that Linker.h is missing.

> Setup.lhs: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
> * Missing header file: Linker.h
> This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
> provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
> already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
> --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.

It's a bug in the package that was exposed when Cabal-1.6.0.2 started
checking for header files and C libs. I reported the bug to the package
maintainer at the time of the release of Cabal-1.6.0.2.

Until the maintainer updates it, the fix is to edit the .cabal file and
simply remove the mention of Linker.h. You can use the new cabal unpack
command:

  cabal unpack plugins
  cd plugins-1.4.0
  vi plugins.cabal