[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Mar 12 08:39:20 EDT 2009

Benjamin L.Russell <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> writes:

>>Regarding logos/mascots:  nothing personal folks, but I would like to cast a
>>loud firm vote against all forms of cuteness, especially small furry animal

> Sorry, but I cannot agree with you.  I actually moved from New York to
> Tokyo partly because of the cuteness culture

> Here, there are a lot of Japanese Haskell fans who love the beauty of
> Haskell, and you will risk losing a lot of them if you choose a mascot
> without any cuteness factor.

So it seems we'll either lose the cuteness-loving Japanese, or the
slick and cool New Yorkers.  A solution would be to find something
that is interpreted as cute in Japan, and chiq in New York - but as we
don't want everybody else to leave either, we probably want to avoid
anything pornographic.  Tricky.

> You can still distinguish yourself from O'Reilly without losing the
> cuteness factor with a logo like one of the following:

 [...]

> a three-dimensional lambda^2 logo stand, with the same logo in a
> transparent green upper portion an aluminum lower portion
> http://home.comcast.net/~flyingsquids/BlogStuff/HL2Logo2.jpg

Hmm...perhaps this is the solution we're looking for: shiny lambda
handcuffs!  Obsce^H^H^H^H^HSophisticated enough for the New Yorkers,
cute enough for the Japanese, and avoiding the unfortunate laziness
connotations by focusing on strictness and discipline instead.

This definitely gets my vote.  (If I still have one.)

-k