[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Thu Mar 12 10:11:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Benjamin L. Russell
<DekuDekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here, there are a lot of Japanese Haskell fans who love the beauty of
> Haskell, and you will risk losing a lot of them if you choose a mascot
> without any cuteness factor.  A lot of my friends meet together every

I don't think so.  Bad design will lose them (and many others), but
good design and cuteness are two different things.

> You can still distinguish yourself from O'Reilly without losing the
> cuteness factor with a logo like one of the following:

We must have vastly different ideas of cute.  I don't consider those
examples cute.  How about this as a criterion:  if it makes 13-year
old Japanese girls squeal "kawaiiii!" then it's too cute.  Also if it
involves the color pink.

-g