[Haskell-cafe] Re: Against cuteness

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 08:07:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 05:17:41 -0500, Gregg Reynolds <dev at mobileink.com>

>Regarding logos/mascots:  nothing personal folks, but I would like to cast a
>loud firm vote against all forms of cuteness, especially small furry animal
>cuteness.  It's been done half to death, and we are not O'Reilly.  Of all
>the billions of images from all the cultures in the world available to us we
>can surely find something that is witty or charming without being cute.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with you.  I actually moved from New York to
Tokyo partly because of the cuteness culture in Japan (and lack of it
in New York--everything has to be black there to be cool for some
reason), and I absolutely will not stand for any mascot that isn't

Here, there are a lot of Japanese Haskell fans who love the beauty of
Haskell, and you will risk losing a lot of them if you choose a mascot
without any cuteness factor.  A lot of my friends meet together every
month to study category theory and Haskel in a Category Theory Study
Group (see
and we all love Haskell for its simplicity and beauty.  We like to
think monadically.

You can still distinguish yourself from O'Reilly without losing the
cuteness factor with a logo like one of the following:

An aqua lambda symbol superimposed on Planet Earth, representing a
Haskellian Planet Earth:

a three-dimensional lambda^2 logo stand, with the same logo in a
transparent green upper portion an aluminum lower portion

lambda -> theta tau, represented in Greek symbols of two colors:

Different from anything on O'Reilly, potentially Haskellian in spirit,
and not animal mascots, but still cute.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
-- Matsuo Basho^