[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 03:04:25 EDT 2009

2009/7/10 Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com>:

> On 9 Jul 2009, at 18:32, Thomas ten Cate wrote:
>
>> Are there any kind of hard statistics and analytics that we can base
>> this discussion upon? There is always room for improvement, but
>> stumbling around in the dark making blind guesses may not be the best
>> way to go. Although I personally feel that Lenny's proposed page is an
>> improvement, statistics could tell us what actual people actually use
>> the site for.
>
> I'm not sure that that's useful.  We can (assuming there are statistics)
> easily find out what the front page *is* used for.  But that doesn't
> necessarily mean that that's what it *should* be used for.  In my mind, the
> front page is for nothing more than enticing people to use Haskell for long
> enough to look at a second page where all the useful stuff is if you are a
> haskell programmer.  It should include no more than a description of what
> haskell is, why it's cool, a link to the documentation, a link to a Haskell
> Platform Dowload and a link to the earlier mentioned "second page".

Hi,

As said by others, I find that, beside the content you mention, the
appearance of a wiki is "inviting", and the Events, Headlines and
Recent package updates makes the haskell community looks active and
welcoming (which it is).

In fact, although it would be even more overwhelming, the titles of
the last posts on planet.haskell.org and the Haskell Weekly News could
maybe appear...

We could even have a "featured package" section where someone give a
nice introduction to a new or not well known package. (If it is too
much but considered a good idea, a possibility would be to have just a
little, although slightly outstanding link beside the package name in
the Recent package updates section.)

Cheers,
Thu