[Haskell-cafe] UDP

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 16:36:30 EST 2009

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> The network library is no more than an FFI library to a Berkeley
> socket interface and as such it implicitly expects you to know sockets
> already (eg. from programming in C).  One advantage here is reading
> man pages actually helps (unlike with most Haskell coding) and you can
> also make equivalent C programs to test things out.

Yes, that's kind of the problem; I don't know how to do this at the C
level, and I can't seem to Google it. :-}

Ah well, I'll ask around. Somebody must know. ;-)

> In the long term we should design and build a more functional network library.

Well, I guess having a library that gives you low-level access means
that anybody who wants to have a go can easily build something nicer on
top of that. (As opposed to, say, file I/O where there is only the
high-level interface, so if you want to do something that isn't
implemented... you can't.)