[Haskell-cafe] UDP

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:51:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
>>
>> The network library is no more than an FFI library to a Berkeley
>> socket interface and as such it implicitly expects you to know sockets
>> already (eg. from programming in C).  One advantage here is reading
>> man pages actually helps (unlike with most Haskell coding) and you can
>> also make equivalent C programs to test things out.
>>

> Yes, that's kind of the problem; I don't know how to do this at the C level,
> and I can't seem to Google it. :-}
>
> Ah well, I'll ask around. Somebody must know. ;-)

Ahh, then see Beej's guide [1] if you wish to learn at the C level.

On another note: when making your Haskell app if you are at all
performance concerned then you should use network-bytestring [2].

[1] http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/network-bytestring