[Haskell-cafe] Re: list choices

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun Jan 25 05:52:11 EST 2009

Both of the points raised by Malcolm are a matter of
personal preference, in my opinion. In fact, my own
preference is the opposite of Malcolm's in both cases.
Both of Malcolm's suggestions would rob me of filtering
capability.

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> I would suggest that posting announcements *only*
> to haskell@, but with followups set to haskell-cafe@,
> is the ideal way to keep everyone informed...

I am usually not interested in the posts to haskell - calls
for papers and the like. So I receive it as a digest it and
rarely look at it. Posts that interest me, such as
announcements of new packages on hackage, tend to be
cross-posted to haskell-cafe. That is ideal for me.

> ...it would reduce _so_ much irritation
> if all the haskell-related mailing lists could set the Reply-To header to
> the list, instead of defaulting to the original poster.

I filter haskell-cafe traffic into a place where I can browse
it if I have time. But when I am participating in a thread,
I want its messages to pop up in my inbox.

Forcing active threads to the inbox would take
work (given my setup), and the result would be far
less accurate. I appreciate people's efforts to include
me in a conversation by mentioning me as a recipient.

Regards,
Yitz