[Haskell-cafe] Re: install-dirs on Mac OS X

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Dec 23 05:18:30 EST 2009

Tom Tobin wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>
>> Likewise,  ~/Library/Haskell  seems to be the best place for user installs.
>
> While I don't mind the /Library/Haskell path for global installs, I'm
> not sure how I feel about this for local installs.  It usually drives
> me crazy when my more "Unix-y" tools stick stuff in my ~/Library/
> directory; for instance, I had to actively fight with my copy of
> Aquamacs Emacs in order to get everything running from ~/.emacs.d/
> rather than ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/.

The reason I'm proposing this is consistency: the idea behind the two
Library folders is that your Haskell installation is the union of the
/Library/Haskell and the ~/Library/Haskell directories. The only
difference between these two directories should be that the former is
available to all users while the latter is available to just a single user.

On a related note, with the

   --prefix--/packages/

layout for packages in place, it would ideally be possible to  mv
packages from /Library to ~/Library and vice-versa, making them
available to all users or to just a single user with a simple file
rename. At least, that's the OS X philosophy. Our main obstacle would be
to figure out what to do with dependents and dependencies.

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com