[Haskell-cafe] Re: install-dirs on Mac OS X

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Dec 23 01:38:05 EST 2009

Tom Tobin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Heinrich Apfelmus
> <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
>> Likewise,  ~/Library/Haskell  seems to be the best place for user installs.
>
> While I don't mind the /Library/Haskell path for global installs, I'm
> not sure how I feel about this for local installs.  It usually drives
> me crazy when my more "Unix-y" tools stick stuff in my ~/Library/
> directory; for instance, I had to actively fight with my copy of
> Aquamacs Emacs in order to get everything running from ~/.emacs.d/
> rather than ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/.

Seconded.

At the very least, Haskell developers on OSX should be able to choose
between a standard *nix installation scheme and the OSX internals
approach, without breaking anything. The OSX internals approach makes
some amount of sense for folks who just want to run Haskell programs as
end users, but the *nix approach makes a lot more sense for active
developers.

--
Live well,
~wren