[Haskell-cafe] Re: How Can Haskell Be Saved?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Dec 14 21:59:06 EST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:16 PM, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> POSIX subsystem was implemented by MS (and other major players) only
> to meet some bureaucratic reqs from DoD/UsGov, and i don't know any
> program really using it.

There are two separate things being confused here,
maybe three.

(0) "POSIX" functions in the Windows C library.
(1) The original POSIX subsystem in Windows NT.
     As far as I know it isn't shipped any more.
(2) Softway Systems' "Interix"/SFU/SUA.
     Microsoft bought Softway.  Softway wrote Interix to make money
     out of people who wanted a workable Unix environment on Windows.
     This _is_ amongst other things a "subsystem", but it's NOT the
     one that was originally written to let weasels tick the "POSIX"
box.

I was talking about (2), not (1) or (0).

This does matter for Haskell people wanting to use Haskell on
Windows.  It would be very interesting to know whether Haskell can
be built to run under Services for Unix Applications (SUA) -- after
all, Qt, SSH, Apache, and so on have been.